Position: Researcher/Assistant Correspondent
Posted by: Los Angeles Bureau of the Mainichi Shimbun
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Thanks to JET alumna, Erika Klein (Hyogo-ken) for the following job opening, a position which she is herself vacating:
Position: Researcher / Assistant Correspondent (full-time or part-time)
The Mainichi Newspapers Los Angeles Bureau seeks a full time Researcher / Assistant Correspondent. The Mainichi Newspapers is a major daily Japanese newspaper printed in Japan with over 4 million readers. Founded in 1872, it is the oldest national daily newspaper in Japan.
• Coordinating with Japanese news correspondent in gathering news and developing articles.
• General proofreading.
• Researching and gathering news, conducting interviews, developing and maintaining news sources, covering press conferences and other events including taking photos.
• Administrative duties are included.
• Must have a keen interest in and understanding of U.S. current events.
• Must be a native English speaker able to speak and write effectively in English.
• Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and good instincts.
• Must be detail-oriented and research savvy.
• Must be highly motivated in journalism and bring up ideas for news reporting.
• Ability to analyze news stories to see what is interesting and newsworthy.
• Persistent in achieving goals and objectives under deadlines.
• Must be available to work on weekend and/or irregular hours if needed.
• Must have B.A. minimum. Research experience is crucial.
• Japanese-speaking applicants and/or those familiar with Japanese culture and media.
• Knowledge of law/criminal justice.
• Interest or experience in sports.
• Rapid typing for taking notes and creating transcripts.
Start date: Early July 2017
Location: Brentwood (Los Angeles, CA)
Compensation: $2,500/month (negotiable) after all applicable federal and state deductions and withholdings
Please email resume and a cover letter (as an attachment) to email@example.com.