Posted by Sydney Sparrow, an ALT currently living in Toyota City. Click here to join the JETwit Jobs Google Group and receive job listings even sooner by email.
Position: Internationalization Coordinator for Ichinoseki City
Posted by: Ichinoseki City
Location: Iwate, Japan
Here’s a job opportunity forwarded to us by JET alumna Therese Stephen (Iwate-ken):
Ichinoseki City is seeking a native English speaker with proficiency in Japanese and an interest in helping to bring the proposed International Linear Collider (ILC) project to fruition.
Internationalization Coordinator for Ichinoseki City, working in the ILC Promotion Division, Mayor’s Office.
Applicants are to have taken and passed (any level of) the Japanese Language Proficiency Test. Knowledge of physics or other science is not necessary, although the employee is expected to obtain a basic understanding of the ILC over time.
- Maintaining the English page of Ichinoseki City’s ILC website (this website), and pro-active use of ILC Facebook and Twitter accounts
- Maintaining Ichinoseki’s English Living Guide. The guide can be accessed from the left hand side of the Ichinoseki City website: http://www.city.ichinoseki.iwate.jp/
- Translation of Japanese newspaper articles related to the ILC, the quarterly newsletter “ILC News”, letters written by the mayor, etc. Translation of English content into Japanese is also required at times
- Interpreting for the mayor, for researchers when they visit from abroad, etc
- Writing about local ILC events or initiatives
- Using email and the telephone (in English and Japanese)
- Participating in ILC-related events
- Gathering and sharing information
- Helping other divisions in the city office with matters of international exchange etc
- Collaborating with organizations, international residents, etc.
An appropriate working visa is required. Ichinoseki City can assist with visa sponsorship.
Contract period, work hours and annual leave
The part-time contract starts on April 1, 2017 or as soon as possible thereafter (with a two-week trial period), and finishes on March 31, 2019 (it is possible to renew the contract).
The working week is from Monday to Friday, with four days working 9am to 4pm and one day working 9am to 3pm, for a total of 29 working hours each week. Occasionally the employee will be asked to work outside of these hours, and is entitled to time off in lieu. Lunch is from 12pm to 1pm.
The employee is entitled to ten days of paid leave in the first year of the contract, and eleven days in the second year. National holidays, summer break and end of year break are also days off.
A salary of 301,200 yen (before income tax, national pension etc are deducted) is paid on the 15th of each month. A travel allowance is paid if using public transportation to commute more than two kilometers (upper limit on amount of allowance).
Applications are to be emailed, delivered by post or in person by 12pm, Friday, March 24th, 2017.
Applications are to include:
・a one-page (A4) summary about yourself in English and Japanese (total of two pages)
・current resume in English and Japanese
・a copy of JLPT certification
・a copy of residence card
・(optional) a reference from current or previous employer
Applicants selected for interview will be contacted and interviews carried out at the Ichinoseki City Office. Efforts will be made to schedule interviews at a convenient time.
Please send any enquiries to the email address above or call 0191-21-2111 (internal line 8647).