Position: Summer Resident Director, Japan
Posted by: American Councils
Location: Washington, D.C., USA
Here’s a job via Idealist:
American Councils is currently seeking qualified Resident Directors to work in Japan on a summer program approximately eight weeks in length. The program is designed for undergraduate and graduate students and is focused on the acquisition of Japanese language and culture in an immersion setting.
Anticipated Employment Dates: Early June – August 2017 (exact appointment dates will vary according to program specifics).
Resident Directors represent American Councils on programs overseas. Resident Directors are responsible for working with the host institution overseas, responding to student emergencies, arranging logistics for the student group, advising individual students as needed, resolving medical and other issues as necessary, and providing frequent program updates and reports to the Washington, DC office. Resident Directors also observe classes at the host institution, meet regularly with teachers, administrators, and participants, and assist with group travel and cultural program arrangements as needed. Resident Directors oversee a small program budget and are responsible for proper documentation of program expenditures and timely completion of a budget report at the end of each month and end of the program.
Resident Directors must be available to participants on a daily basis, including weekends and evenings and during any emergencies that arise, and will communicate regularly with the American Councils program staff in Washington, DC. Successful candidates must have advanced-level Japanese skills and native-level English skills.
Prior to departure, all Resident Directors are required to complete an orientation program. Resident Directors are often asked to travel to the program site in advance of the students’ arrival. In some cases, Resident Directors may be asked to travel with their respective participant groups at the beginning of their programs and return to Washington, DC with the group at the end of the program. Resident Directors report to the DC-based Program Manager and staff. Completion of a successful background check may be required. All offers are contingent upon ability to receive and maintain a visa to the host country.
- Advising program participants as needed on a variety of language learning, cultural, adjustment, and logistical issues;
- Liaising with the host institution and local program staff;
- Maintaining adherence to program rules and policies among participants, including adherence to a Japanese-only language policy in certain settings;
- Responding to participant emergencies, including assisting participants with navigating local clinics and hospitals;
- Working with host families, which may include selection and monitoring of host families;
- Reporting on program activities to staff in Washington, DC;
- Observing the academic program;
- Assisting with group travel and cultural program arrangements;
- Managing a small budget of program funds and maintaining detailed financial documentation, including monthly reports;
- Collecting and tagging photographs and videos collected from students and local CLS staff;
- Completing a pre-departure orientation and training session;
- Resolving other program-related issues as necessary; and
- Performing other program-related tasks as directed.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Japanese, area studies, or a related field;
- Advanced written and oral language skills in Japanese (minimum 2/2+ on DLPT scale, Advanced on ACTFL scale);
- Study, work, or extensive travel experience in Japan;
- Experience working in a position of authority with undergraduate or graduate students;
- Experience overseeing and guiding groups, especially in foreign settings;
- Demonstrated skills in academic and personal counseling; and
- Demonstrated skills in general financial accountability.
Position contingent upon funding. Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until positions are filled
Select this link and follow the prompts: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/index.php?/job/apply&clientkey=58AA089E0E2C786B7FE4217373F3BCBD&job=1165&jpt=