Position: Manager – Project and Business Development
Posted by: Sojitz Corporation
Location: New York, USA
Thanks to Justin Manger (Gunma-ken) for sending us the following job offer at his company:
DEPARTMENT: Rail & Transit Department
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Segment leader who is responsible for Project Management, Sales & Marketing and Project Development in the area of transportation infrastructure mainly in the U.S. Plan and organize projects with internal and external resources and take initiative to achieve project goals with partners. Establish good & continuous relationships with existing and potential suppliers/customers such as transit authorities, car builders, and equipment manufacturers. To execute this job, periodic domestic/international business travel is required.
- Follow up on-going projects with partners and understand all project issues so that SCA can execute its services in a timely manner for several projects simultaneously.
- Keep contact with customers and acknowledge customers’ requirements, then instruct partners to keep them on track and minimize disruptions.
- Negotiate Terms & Conditions in case of a change of requirements or schedule; debate and argue interpretation of same.
- Monitor and acknowledge the status of on-going projects through close communication with partners and clients; make timely reports to management. This job includes supervision of invoicing and fee collection from clients.
SALES & MARKETING/PROJECT DEVELOPMENT
- Develop new projects to supply and install equipment for transit agencies.
- Organize tactically and plan well in advance for target projects in terms of partnering, technical advantages, cost competitiveness, timeframe, etc.
- Take initiative for planning, organizing and leading marketing between customers and suppliers with knowledge of technical specifications for vehicles and components.
- Prepare bid documents for tender projects.
- Set up meetings with customers, from engineering to senior management.
- Negotiate with customers considering both commercial and technical factors, and convince suppliers to meet customers’ demand for all goals.
- Negotiate and finalize Agreements/Terms & Conditions by consulting Legal Dept. in a timely manner.
SHORT/MID-TERM STRATEGY & BUDGET PLANNING
- Plan business strategy & budget upon acknowledgement of on-going project status and future project prospects in consultation with management.
- Make presentations internally as well as externally to share and reach consensus on strategy and action plans.
- Maintain and expand good relationships with key contacts which are crucial for the department’s success.
- Manage and check profit and loss as well as receivables and payables, payments and profit on a monthly basis.
- Consult with administrative departments.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
POSITIONS REPORTING TO THIS EMPLOYEE:
- Sr. Sales Assistant
- Approximately $2,000,000
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- At least 5 years of experience in project management and/or B-to-B sales of industrial equipment/materials.
- BS in business or equivalent.
- Fluency in Japanese: speak/read/write.
- Basic knowledge of business processes, such as accounting principles
- Valid driver’s license.
- Specific experience or knowledge of rail & transit industry preferred.
- Fundamental knowledge of international trade and logistics preferred.
- Knowledge or experience of investment related activities preferred.
- Adaptability and flexibility for possible job rotation and dynamic industry and market as one of the most important competencies.
- Strong “Intrepreneurship”, with enthusiasm to create new business opportunities with no leads and no sources.
- Ability to execute several tasks and channels of communication at once.
- Ability to make strategy based on understanding of necessary information & data
- Ability to lead a project team and advise how to achieve goals.
- Ability to support team’s growth and maintain team’s motivation.
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation, closing, and persuasive skills; ability to persist and follow through
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing and with internal/external contacts.
- Ability to recgonize and safegard confidential information.
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Eijiro Izumi at firstname.lastname@example.org