Via JETAA Pacific Northwest. Posted by Kay Monroe (Miyazaki-shi, 1995 -97).
Position: Guide Job for Exchange Program
Posted by: The Laurasian Institution
Type: Short term
Location: Seattle, WA
Start Date: N/A
The Laurasian Institution of Seattle, WA is seeking guides for groups of 25 participants visiting the United States from Japan between October 2012 and March 2013. Groups will be comprised of 24 high school students and 1~2 adult chaperones. Groups will visit the United States for a period of 11 days, including sightseeing in two major cities (either Seattle & San Francisco or Washington D.C. and New York City) and a homestay in locations throughout the country.
Guides will meet groups at the airport in the arrival city (Washington D.C or Seattle), lead them through scheduled orientation and sightseeing activities, accompany them to the homestay location and departure city (New York City or San Francisco), and see them off at the airport.
Description of Duties:
• Guide groups through all scheduled activities, including arrival/departure at airports, mealtimes, orientation,
sightseeing, travel to/from homestay locations, host school activities, etc.
• Ensure the group stays together at all times
• Ensure the safety and well-being of all members of the group by handling medical or other emergency
• Interpreting between group members, vendors, and others throughout the trip as needed
Summary of Requirements:
• Native English speakers with highly functional Japanese abilities (minimum JLPT Level 2/N2 or equivalent)
• All-day time commitment for 11 days, including being on-call at night
• Experience with Japanese students and/or the Japanese school system
• Familiarity with Japanese health insurance procedures
• Residence in and knowledge of the geography, history and culture of at least one of the major cities
(Seattle, San Francisco, Washington D.C. or New York City)
• Ability to handle emergencies and work under pressure
• Strong communication skills, both oral and written
• Demonstrated experience as a leader
• Bachelor’s degree
• Pass a criminal background check
• $2,500 for 11 days as group guide
• Transportation to/from both major cities (either Seattle & San Francisco or Washington D.C. & New York
City) during the trip
• Transportation to/from the homestay location
• Meals and lodging during trip
Trip Dates & Locations
• Tour 1: October 9 – 19, 2012 (Washington D.C. & New York City)
• Tour 2: November 3 – 13, 2012 (Washington D.C. & New York City)
• Tour 3: (TENTATIVE) December 1 – 11, 2012 (Seattle & San Francisco)
• Tour 4: (TENTATIVE) January 17 – 27, 2013 (Seattle & San Francisco)
• Tour 5: March 5 – 15, 2013 (Seattle & San Francisco)
• Tour 6: March 17 – 27, 2013 (Washington D.C. & New York City)
**Candidates who can commit to escorting multiple trips will be given preferential consideration.
To be considered, please send your resume, cover letter, your base city (Seattle, San Francisco, Washington D.C. or New York City) and a list of all available dates to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
The Laurasian Institution is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization offering international and cross-cultural education programs. This position is a part of the Kizuna Project, an exchange program between Japan and the United States as a response to the March 11, 2011 Great Eastern Japan Earthquake and Tsunami. The Laurasian Institution is working with the Japan Foundation Center for Global Partnership to bring 1,000 high school students from Tohoku to the United States. For more information about the Kizuna Project, please visit our website: http://www.laurasian.org/kizuna/