Feb 11

Job: Study Abroad Advisor at San Diego State University

Posted by Sophia Chan (Sapporo-shi, 2009-2014). A sometimes writer, graphic designer and photographer in New York City. If you love food and TV, check out Sophia’s life adventures on her blog, Sophia said. If interested in more job listings, join the JETwit Jobs Google Group and receive job listings even sooner by email.

San Diego State University’s International Student Center is looking for a Study Abroad Advisor. Located on the west coast, San Diego State University is the oldest and largest higher education institution in the San Diego region.  Since its founding in 1897, SDSU has grown to offer bachelor’s degrees in 91 areas, master’s degrees in 78 areas and doctorates in 22 areas.  SDSU’s approximately 35,000 students participate in an academic curriculum distinguished by direct contact with faculty and an increasing international emphasis that prepares them for a global future.

The Study Abroad Advisor works under the lead work direction of the Assistant Director for SDSU Study Abroad and is responsible for planning and organizing a full range of services and programs which meet the international objectives of the university and the special needs of students seeking or engaged in education abroad programs.

Responsibilities 

Advise students on SDSU’s 335+ education abroad/exchange programs

• Maintain a student advisement program that provides information for each prospective participant regarding a full range of service options, including intake, exploration, referral, placement, processing, orientation, and re-entry.
  • Maintain printed and electronic tracking systems that ensure sequential follow-up for each prospective participant at each step of the advising process.
  • Process student applications and on-campus student interviews for designated programs.
  • Research, edit and produce informational materials that will guide prospective participants through their range of options, helping them select the program that will best meet their needs and their capacities.  Advise students and their parents on University policies, procedures and resources for education abroad.
  • Plan and organize pre-departure and re-entry orientation programs to prepare participants for the academic, cultural, and personal adjustments they will encounter during their program and upon their return.  Research, edit and produce informational materials that will help them optimize their cross-cultural experience with minimal risk.
  • Present general information sessions, conduct classroom presentations on SDSU international programs and exchanges, and assist faculty in recruitment efforts for these programs.
  • Maintain follow-up communication with returning study abroad students including a written or on-line evaluation; ensure that this information is available to prospective study abroad students.

Market study abroad programs to meet campus participation goals

• Plan and organize a marketing plan to target students for study abroad programs.  Help set clear goals for increasing participation and establish methods and strategies to meet those goals.
  • Work closely with various campus publications committees to ensure that prospective and current students are frequently and effectively exposed to a compelling message with sustained visibility; promote visibility of the SDSU Study Abroad Office as the entry point for all prospective participants.
  • Assist with the design, editing, production and distribution of brochures, posters and flyers highlighting education abroad opportunities on a regular basis.  Publish upcoming events and deadlines in the Daily Aztec, the Hall Street News and other student publications.
  • Assist with the design, editing, production and maintenance of databases, websites and listserves that promote program options and support services.
  • Assist with the maintenance of a SDSU Study Abroad Information Table on a regular weekly basis, rotating through various high traffic areas during peak traffic times, at New Student Orientation, and at Explore SDSU.
  • Assist with coordinating an SDSU Study Abroad Fair each semester where all of SDSU’s international program opportunities are highlighted.

Plan and organize a Study Abroad Alumni Program

• Utilize study abroad alumni to assist in recruitment efforts and outreach to those abroad to assist in advising prospective students going to institutions abroad.
  • Work with other ISC staff to develop a student organization for incoming exchange students, study abroad returnees/alumni and prospective applicants.  Develop a “buddy program” in which returnees help new incoming exchange students to get settled at SDSU.
  • Produce bi-annual Study Abroad newsletters.

Produce and distribute tools that optimize health and safety awareness

• Produce and disseminate information resources and training programs that will instruct participants and their families on health and safety issues in their destination country/ies so they can make informed decisions concerning preparation, participation and behavior while on the program.

Plan and organize online training programs

• Plan and organize online information meetings and an online safety/security section of Pre-departure Orientation

Other duties as assigned by appropriate lead/supervisor

Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
  • Working knowledge of the practices, procedures and activities of the program to which assigned; general knowledge of the methods and problems of organizational and program management; general knowledge of research and interview techniques; and general knowledge of the principles of individual and group behavior.
  • Ability to interpret and apply program rules and regulations; ability to use initiative and resourcefulness in planning work assignments and in implementing long-range program improvements; ability to obtain factual and interpretative information through interviews; ability to reason logically; ability to collect, compile, analyze and evaluate data and make verbal or written presentations based on these data; ability to advise students individually and in groups on routine matters where required; ability to recognize multicultural, multisexed and multi-aged value systems and work accordingly; ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with faculty, CSU administrators, student organizations, private and public agencies and others in committee work, and student advising and community contacts; and ability to rapidly acquire a general knowledge of the overall operation, functions and programs of the campus to which assigned.
  • Demonstrated ability to make decisions and carry through actions having implications with regard to other program or service areas.
  • Possession of these knowledge and abilities is demonstrated through the experience requirements.
Experience and Education

Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job-related field. Additional specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities shown below may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.

Possession of the required knowledge and abilities is typically demonstrated through the equivalent of two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field; experience should give evidence of competence and indicate the potential for further growth. A Master’s degree in a job-related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience.

Specialized Requirements
  • Experience with public speaking and motivating students to participate in international learning programs and activities.
  • Experience with intercultural communications and cross-cultural relations.
  • Strong interpersonal communication skills, particularly related to advising students and interacting with faculty, administrative staff, and parents.
  • Experience planning and organizing study abroad marketing strategies to meet specified goals.
  • Experience using Microsoft Office Suite.
Preferred Qualifications
  • Knowledge and understanding of regulatory and visa requirements affecting student mobility across borders.
  • Knowledge and understanding of issues related to international educational exchange, including knowledge of comparative systems of international education, international credit transfer, pre-departure orientation, financial aid, risk management; cultural factors influencing international student attitudes and behaviors.
  • Previous experience on a university-level study abroad program (preferably for a semester or academic year) is required.
  • Experience with Adobe software, social media (i.e. Facebook, Twitter and Instagram), and study abroad database management systems (i.e. Simplicity Horizons or Terra Dotta Studio Abroad).
  • Master’s degree in an internationally related field.
Application Procedures

Review of applications will begin on Tuesday, February 24, 2015; position will remain open until filled.  The on-line application should be completed in detail.  COMPLETION OF THE ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED FOR CONSIDERATION, A RESUME ALONE WILL NOT SUFFICE.

To apply for this position, please go to the site and complete the required documents.

Page Rank