Jul 23

Job: Resident Advisor – CET Academic Programs (India)

Posted by Sydney Sparrow, curriculum and content developer for a real estate school based in Virginia. Click here to join the JETwit Jobs Google Group and receive job listings even sooner by email.

Position: Resident Advisor
Posted by: CET Academic Programs
Location: Varanasi, India
Status: Part Time

Overview: The Varanasi Resident Advisor (RA) is a part-time position. The RA will participate in the Hindi language classes as a student while performing his/her duties for CET. Duties include meeting with students frequently to help them adjust to life in Varanasi, serving as a language and cultural resource for students, assisting on-site staff with minor tasks, writing program-related emails and reports, assisting the Program Director in handling on-site emergencies, hosting US faculty visitors on site, creating blog posts and other social media content, and assist all activities and trips. 

Candidates must be native-English speakers with excellent Hindi skills. The successful candidate will attend a 3-day training session in DC before departure. Because the compensation package includes the opportunity to conduct language training and participate in field research, this is an excellent position for a graduate student. Candidates will need to be able to balance their own studies with the RA duties. Candidates must be willing to sign a one-year contract with CET.

CET Academic Programs is a study abroad organization based in Washington, DC that has been designing and administering innovative educational programs abroad since 1982. Originally “China Educational Tours,” CET began operations in Beijing, later expanding to other cities in China and then to other countries around the world. Today, CET offers semester and summer study abroad programs in Brazil, China, the Czech Republic, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Tunisia and Vietnam, as well as short-term, customized programs worldwide. CET is known for high academic standards, innovative approaches to teaching and careful student management. CET programs integrate students into their overseas communities and lead them to create lasting relationships with their local hosts. CET is the only US provider to house its students with local roommates in each of its locations. As an environmentally conscientious organization, CET adopts locally appropriate measures in its centers worldwide to reduce its carbon footprint and contribute to sustainable practices wherever possible. Staffed by over 50 full-time employees in the United States and overseas, CET currently sends around 1100 US students abroad annually.

Responsibilities:

Support Staff

• Support the PD in upholding all CET policies
  • Participate in the PD-designed orientation sessions each term
  • Assist the PD with activities and excursions
  • Write blog posts and social media content for CET India

Teach/Counsel

• Serve as language and culture resource to students
  • Assist students as they adjust to life in India
  • Maintain office hours and meet frequently with students to serve their needs

Serve as Liaison

• Assist the PD in representing CET to visiting US faculty and study abroad advisors
  • Communicate regularly with CET’s head office, particularly in the event of an on-site emergency
  • Support PD with any on-site crises in an appropriate and effective manner

Requirements:

• BA in related field; MA a plus
  • Native English language skills
  • Strong Hindi language skills
  • Ability to remain calm and project authority during crises or stressful situation
  • Superior interpersonal skills
  • Excellent oral communication and writing skills
  • Study abroad experience in India; UW in India program alumni are particularly encouraged to apply
  • Willingness to wear different hats and maintain flexibility toward program responsibilities
  • Commitment to education abroad and the field of South Asian Studies
  • Sensitivity to both student needs and cultural differences
  • Undergraduate teaching, advising, or mentoring experience (preferred)

Salary and Benefits: CET offers an excellent compensation package which includes:

• Tuition waiver for participation in CET UW in India program, valued at more than $20,000
  • HTH travel insurance
  • Visa and visa processing
  • Housing stipend
  • Modest monthly living stipend
  • One roundtrip US/India airline ticket

The successful completion of a background check is required for this position.

Application Process: Our company is committed to diversity, and we work hard to maintain a welcoming, non-discriminatory office culture. We welcome qualified applicants of all backgrounds to apply to our openings. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.

Qualified candidates should submit the following:

• Résumé
  • Formal cover letter that outlines the position to which you are applying (India Resident Advisor), your qualifications and experience, and where you first heard about the position
  • List of three references

Applications missing any of these components will not be considered. Applications must be received by August 16, 2015. Send application materials via mail or e-mail (as Word or PDF attachments) to:

Kate Maruyama
India, Japan, Vietnam Programs Manager
CET Academic Programs
1920 N Street, NW, suite 200
Washington, DC 20036

e-mail: kmaruyama@academic-travel.com

Page Rank